About the Franchise
Own and Operate a Sunset Grill of Your Own!
Owner-operated, California-style breakfast restaurant with a warm and friendly community atmosphere. Featuring fresh grilled breakfast and lunch prepared in an open kitchen.
Sunset Grill is a proudly Canadian all-day breakfast restaurant franchise founded in Toronto, Ontario by Angelo Christou in 1985. The California-inspired concept was named after the Don Henley hit song, “Sunset Grill,” which reached top 10 of the Billboard Charts the year we opened our doors.
We are a table service restaurant that appeals to all crowds, yet we remain very much 5-star inspired. Our food and preparation methods are centred around quality, which is never sacrificed. All our menu items are cooked fresh to order using healthy methods: flat-top grills, pat dry bacon, and nothing is ever deep fried.
Fresh is Tastiest™ is our philosophy here at Sunset Grill – our guests are loyal to our brand and love our food because we use fresh ingredients, healthy cooking methods, deliver generous portions, and provide fast, friendly, and reliable service.
With 85 franchised locations across Canada and growing, we are now positioned to expand across select markets in the United States, including California and beyond. The chain will concentrate on high traffic and highly visible street locations in addition to freestanding pad sites and end caps with patio (where possible). Street units require 1,000 to 1,500 square feet with basement areas while pad units require approximately 2,200 square feet.
Why Partner with Sunset Grill?
- Specialization in the marketplace positions us as the dominant brand. Operations are streamlined and efficient in comparison to broad spectrum restaurants
- Not only is breakfast a high-profit sector of the restaurant industry, it is also the fastest growing
- A clean, open concept kitchen instills customer confidence and is now more popular than ever. It also provides management a full, unobstructed view of customer flow, kitchen operations and seating areas at all times – resulting in mass savings on payroll, excellent customer service and maximized employee productivity
- One-shift operation (7 am to 4 pm daily) ensures zero down time and maximizes profits. A one-shift operation also allows you to go home every night and spend quality time with your family – without worrying about the restaurant
- Staffing is simple with one shift to manage and coupled with no evening hours, the results are a very low staff turnover
- Excellent income potential. Featuring the highest net profit of any full-service restaurant (up to 20% profit on net sales)
- Strong support. Head Office will find and prefilter locations in prime, high visibility sites only. We negotiate long-term, clean leases (up to 30 years) and provide initial and ongoing training
- Strong community presence and an opportunity to meet good wholesome people
“Buy into a business that works for you.”
Your business should work for you and provide you with the following benefits:
Welcome to Sunset Grill!
We strive to be the best breakfast restaurant in town. We take pride in providing a warm, friendly and clean atmosphere for our customer’s enjoyment and satisfaction. We serve only the highest quality fresh foods and use the healthiest cooking methods.
Franchise Owners Tom and Bill truly appreciate everything Nadi, their Head Cook, has done for the restaurant. “We consider Nadi to be like family,” Tom says. “He is a loyal, calm, and very hard-working chef that has contributed to our success at Sunset Grill. My father, Mike, before he passed away, very much enjoyed working alongside Nadi on weekends. Nadi was my dad’s number one employee.”
Nadi, Head Cook, Winston Churchill & Eglinton, Mississauga, Ontario
“I love every minute spent here,” she boasts. “The slow days and the busy days. I love the customers, the interactions, and Sundays, because I get to work with my family. I put my heart and soul into this business,” she quips with pride. Mona is proof that when you’re armed with a positive attitude, passion for your craft, and an incredible support system by your side – anything is possible.
Mona, Franchise Owner, King City, Ontario
Deepa is proud of her ability to jump in wherever she’s needed, whether that be greeting customers, working the cash register, cooking in the kitchen, or washing dishes. She can do it all. She attributes that success to her desire to learn, and family support system. “I never imagined I would own a restaurant like this,” she says with pride. “But here I am today. I tell people: dream about it. You will be able to make [it] a success. There’s no such thing [as] ‘I don’t know’ you can always learn a trade.”
Deepa, Franchise Owner, Fairview Mall, St. Catharines, Ontario
The restaurant is a family affair for Andy. His wife, Irene, and their two adult children work in the restaurant. “My wife is my right-hand man,” he states proudly. “When I’m at the cash… when my daughter stands beside me, and people don’t even know it’s my daughter, and they come up and they’re like ‘this girl needs a raise, this girl was awesome’,” …those are the moments Andy cherishes. He’s teaching his son how to run the restaurant in the hopes of one day having him take it over, or open his own.
Andy, Franchise Owner, Kennedy & Steeles, Brampton, Ontario
Sunset Grill is a member of the International Franchise Association
Structure & Fees
|Franchise Fee:||$60,000.00 USD|
|Estimated Total Capital Cost (build out):||$500,000 USD (includes Franchise Fee)|
|Average Restaurant Size:||100 seats (2,000 sq. ft.)|
|Cash or Liquid Assets Required (unencumbered):||$250,000 USD (minimum)|
|Bank Financing Available Upon Approval:||TBD based on location and credit|
Owner / Operator Required Qualifications
- Supervisory or managerial background an asset
- Ability to relate well with both customers and employees
- Must possess integrity, honesty, sincerity, and tenacity
- Must be willing to follow a standard operation procedure and management system
- Must be willing to learn and understand the cooking process and kitchen operations
Advertising / Marketing
- Franchisees benefit from an established brand name (and integrity)
- We believe a “prime location” is our best advertising
- Brand advertising campaigns through online (social media, SEO) in addition to traditional media (print, TV)
- Reputation Management – online directory and review sites; social media monitoring
- We build a regular customer base through word of mouth and consistently impressing our guests
- We support local community events and causes
- We are consistently voted best breakfast restaurant – E.g. Toronto Sun Readers’ Choice Awards
- Awarded for our franchise model and corporate social responsibility – Corporate Champion Award for Community Impact from the Canadian Cancer Society; 15-year milestone award for demonstrating dedication to Franchise Excellence through continued membership with the Canadian Franchise Association; Tops in Hospitality Award in recognition of the Greatest Percentage Increase – Restaurant Category awarded by Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine
Take Advantage of Our Professional Guidance
- Location search
- Securing of necessary financing
- Offer to lease or purchase
- Lease negotiations
- Initial drawing and design
- Hiring an Engineer / Architect
- Hiring, training and managing of staff
- Ongoing support from Head Office
- Two weeks’ training prior to opening
- Training during opening
- Use of all Sunset Grill recipes, manuals, menus, etc.
- Right to use trademarks and trade names
- Volume discount through our approved suppliers
- Our build outs are turn-key, operations are fully standardized
Steps to Buying a Sunset Grill USA Franchise
Let us get started!
- Return the completed Questionnaire and Personal Finance Statement to our Head Office either by:
- email [email protected]
- We will follow up and comment upon our review of your application.
- Upon initial approval, a personal interview will be arranged with Sunset Grill Head Office.
- Our franchise agreement and disclosure statements are presented to the Franchisee.
- You will be required to visit a Small Business Loan Manager at a commercial bank to evaluate your financing needs.
- The franchise fee ($60,000 USD + applicable taxes) is paid upon signing and acceptance of the franchise agreement.
- Our Sunset Grill approved realtor handles all correspondence with landlords. Prime locations are presented to the franchisee. Your location is finalized once the Franchisee and Franchisor mutually agree on a site.
- The location is secured and the final lease for the premises is signed and executed.
USA Franchising Package
Download our Sunset Grill U.S. Franchise Package